Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A bright and happy blanket

What can I say?
This is one of those projects that just grew without much planning.
I had no idea at the start of the process what I would end up with.
First I just felt like dyeing some wool, for the fun of it.

Then the result of that was so bright and sweet that it stunned me.

No idea what to use it for......

That fiber (which is of our sheep Barney) was spun, because I needed some fiber to spin for a spinning demonstration during an agricultural show in town.
It sure attracted a lot of comments and caught the eye of the public. I mean with those colours it is hard not to notice it.

Plied up this was the final resulting colourway. I had 200g of it.
Then I found a pattern idea I wanted to try out. A blanket with mitred squares. Something I had never done before.
Yet the resulting blanket was not large enough to be useful.
So I had to try and dye more fiber in a matching hue, which proved difficult to achieve.
After the dye bath it was very patchy in colour.

But I used my drum carder to get some practice at carding and the dyed sliver turned into 200g of  gorgeous and more even coloured batts;

The colour was perfect. And a border was knitted to complete the blanket which made it about a meter square. Perfect for a baby blanket or a lap blanket or throw.



If I may say so myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment