Monday, February 13, 2012

Strawberry fields forever.




The only homespun yarn I dyed at the dyeing workshop was these very soft 440 yards of Merino.
I spun it at least a year ago and had no idea what to do with it, as I don't like white wool.

Then I did not want the risk of wasting such a gorgeous soft yarn, so I was hesitant of dyeing it.

Now that I have dyed it, I like it better. I think of strawberry fields and blue skies when I look at it. But I still am clueless as to what to use it for.



I dyed the in vinegar and water pre-soaked wool, by sprinkling red, blue and yellow dye powder on to the wool while draping it into the empty dye pot. I proceded by adding water/vinegar to the pot the pot and slowely simmering it for some time, not disturbing or stirring the wool at all.

I think the PH of the dye pot may have been too low as the dyes struck very fast without much running in some places, giving this splashy effect.

It will be quite fun to knit and could surely make a neat kids jersey or so.



And this is what it became....a Beatrice Shawl from Ravelry






I'm pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment