Sunday, January 24, 2021

Wooly jewelery


This is an other one of those projects that has taken a long time to complete.

Firstly because I had no idea what to do with the fiber that is quite harsh, and had felted a bit in the dyeing process.
The Dye result was disappointing to me.  
But I don't like wasting so waited patiently for an idea to brew.

This came to me while attending a weekend retreat with our local creative Fibre Group.
Someone was creating jewelry with fiber.....Felting little balls, needle felting items.

All new to me, but I liked the idea and thought I would use this disappointing dye result so if it would not work out well, nothing would be lost.


A Dye in the bag method with acid dyes. Fiber, soaked in water/vinegar, added to a bag, dyes added, bag sealed and steamed in a large pan with boiling water to set the dyes. 


 

The photo isn't great but the colour wasn't great either.....

I tried spinning some of it but it had felted and was hard to draw.
But I had enough to knit a course bag that I then felted in the washing machine.



This gave me a felted 'canvas to work with.

I crocheted some flowers from left over yarn, used beads in matching colours and made some felted baubles for added interest.



More felting was done to create long enough strands to make 
both a necklace and a bracelet with.



And voila... a set was born.  



Its a bit course and bulky. But it has some artistic flair.

I think I have overcome the disappointment of the dye result 
and am quite happy with the end result right now.

Now when to wear something like this???
 

No comments:

Post a Comment